- MBChB (Stellenbosch)
- Dip Obst (SA) Dip Ophth (SA)
- MMed in Emergency Medicine
- Diploma in Anaesthesia
- Fellowship of the College of Anaesthesiologists of South Africa
- Paediatric anaesthesia
- Regional anaesthesia
- Neurosurgical anaesthesia
- Obstetric anaesthesia
- Peridontal and Dental anaesthesia
- Laparoscopic anaesthesia
Dr. Adrian Burger
MBChB (Stell), FCA (SA), MMed(UCT), DA (SA), Dip Obst (SA) Dip Ophth (SA)
2 Sea View Road, Wynberg, 7800, Cape Town, South Africa
Adrian grew up in Port Elizabeth, and matriculated at Grey High School before attending the University of Stellenbosch and obtaining his MBChB in 1995. He went back to Port Elizabeth for his internship and Medical officer training at Livingstone Hospital where he obtained his Diplomas in Opthalmology and Obstetrics.
After a few years in the UK, Adrian started the Emergency Medicine Registrar training program at the University of Cape Town (UCT) in 2004 and completed the four year specialist training in 2007. Shortly afterwards, he started Netcare Blaauwberg’s Emergency Unit, before working at Leicester Royal Infirmary in the UK as a locum Consultant until 2009. After that Adrian completed projects in various remote mine and construction sites – including Sierra Leone, DR Congo, Kyrgyzstan, Indonesia and China - training and supervising local medical staff in emergency procedures and primary health care.
In 2012, Adrian returned to South Africa for good to be with his family and pursue his passion for Anaesthesia. He obtained his Diploma in Anaesthesia whilst at Mowbray Maternity Hospital and then joined the UCT Anaesthetic training program and was awarded the Fellowship of the College of Anaesthesiologists of South Africa in 2017.
Not surprisingly, he proved to be a very capable and popular Anaesthesiologist, and was awarded the prize for the best Paediatric Anaesthesia Registrar in 2017, and was also voted the Registrar’s Registrar of the Year in 2017. Adrian left UCT in January 2018 and after a year in independent Anaesthesia Practice in Cape Town, he joined Southern Anaesthetics Associates in 2018.
- HPCSA (Health Professionals Council of South Africa)
- SASA (South African Society of Anaesthesiologist)
- SASA Cape Western Branch Vice-Chair
- GMC (General Medical Council - UK)
- PCNS (Practice Code Numbering System)
- Southern Anaesthetic Association since 2018
Current CPD Activities
- Conference Delegate ANZCA Conference Kuala Lumpur 2019
- Delegate PACSA 2018/2020
- Co-Ordinator SASA Cape Western Branch Meetings
- Attended ICOA Obstetrics Conference 2019
- Certifications BLS and ACLS 2018 and 2020
- Attendance at Southern Anaesthetic Associates monthly CME meetings
- Attendance at Southern Anaesthetic Associates annual CME meetings
Publications, Presentations, Academic Activities
- Paediatric Procedural Sedation published in SAJAA 2019
Life Outside of Work
- Married to Linda van Zyl (also a Southern Anaesthetics Associate), two children Daniel and Alexander. Lover of outdoors, scuba diving, running and travel.