- MBChB University of Cape Town
- Diploma in Anaesthesia (SA)
- Fellowship of the College of Anaesthesiologists of SA
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery
- Acute Pain
- Paediatric Anaesthesia
Dr. Guy Picken
MBChB(UCT) DA (SA) FCA(SA)
2 Sea View Road, Wynberg, 7800, Cape Town, South Africa
Guy grew up in KwaZulu-Natal and matriculated at Kearsney College, before attending the University of Cape Town and obtaining his MBChB degree in 2003. After completing his internship in Durban and subsequent community service at Mseleni Hospital in rural KZN, he spent valuable time working in the UK before completing his Diploma in Anaesthesia while at Greys Hospital in Pietermaritzburg. Thereafter he joined his wife, Sandy, for her community service year back at Mseleni Hospital. They then spent a year in Australia – working as a medical officer in Vascular Surgery and Accident & Emergency Medicine at The Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney, and then as an A&E shift leader at Port Macquarie Base Hospital.
With this foundation, Guy began his registrar training at the University of Cape Town in 2009. He was seconded to George Hospital for his first year of training, followed by 3 years at Groote Schuur and Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospitals. He was awarded the Fellowship of the College of Anaesthesia of South Africa in 2013.
Guy was then a full-time Specialist Consultant for the next four and a half years at the University of Cape Town’s Department of Anaesthesia & Peri-Operative Medicine, where he has gained valuable experience in the fields of Intensive Care, Paediatrics, Obstetrics, Cardiothoracic and Regional Anaesthesia. Guy enjoyed the teaching and the mentoring of registrars. Guy has fulfilled key roles at Groote Schuur in the Acute Pain Service, ‘Enhanced Recovery after Colorectal Surgery’ programme and as Chairman of “Wells, Gordon & Associates” – the private anaesthetic practice at UCT Private Academic Hospital.
- HPCSA Health Professions Council of South Africa (2020)
- SASA South African Society of Anaesthesiologists Council Member (2020)
- SASA Private Practice Business Unit Council Member (2020)
- SASA Cape Western Branch Vice-Chair/Secretary (2020)
- Southern Anaesthetics Associates Executive Member (2020-)
- Southern Anaesthetics Associates Member 2018-20...
- SASA CWB Chairperson (2019)
- Wells, Gordon & Assoc Chairperson (2015-2018)
Current CPD Activities
- 2019: SASA Congress - Port Elizabeth
- 2020: SASA Congress - Pretoria
- 2019: International Obstetric Anaesthetic Congress - Cape Town
- 2020: BLS & ACLS
- 2020: SASA WCB Update organising committee (May & Oct)
- Southern Anaesthetics Assoc Journal Club
Publications, Presentations, Academic Activities
- Lecturer at UCT Dept of Anaesthesia & Perioperative Medicine
- FCA Part II Lecture Organ Protection in Vascular Surgery, Renal Translant, ERAS Analgesia
- FCA Part I Lecture Defibrillators and Diathermy; DA - Renal & Acid/Base Physiology
- SAJAA 2013;19(3):174-177: The use of intraoperative transoesophageal echocardiography as a monitor for haemodynamic instability during pulmonary hydatid cyst excision
Life Outside of Work
- Guy has always enjoyed and excelled in sports and whilst at university he played rugby and cricket for UCT. In later years he played provincial touch rugby for both Western Province and Natal. These days he is an avid golfer and enjoys surfing and other water sports. Guy and Sandy have two young boys.