- MBChB (Wits)
- Diploma in Anaesthesia (SA)
- Fellowship of the College of Anaesthesiologists of South Africa
- Vascular anaesthesia
Dr. Nick Meyersfeld
MBChB(Wits) DA(SA) FCA(SA)
2 Sea View Road, Wynberg, 7800, Cape Town, South Africa
Dr Nick Meyersfeld joined Southern Anaesthetics as a full time associate in 2015. Nick obtained his MBChB degree in 2003 from the University of the Witwatersrand. After completion of internship and community service, he spent 6 months at the Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre ICU. His particular interest in neuroanaesthesia led him to spend four months as a medical officer in neurosurgery at Pretoria Academic Hospital. He then worked abroad as a registrar in Ireland.
Nick began his Anaesthetic registrar training at the University of the Witwatersrand. He obtained his Diploma in Anaesthesia in 2008, and was awarded the Fellowship of the College of Anaesthesiologists of South Africa in 2011.
From 2012 till 2015, Nick worked a Specialist Consultant at the University of Cape Town’s Department of Anaesthesiology, spending six months at Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital during this time. Nick still has an emerging academic publication record and a passion for, and dedication to Anaesthetics teaching and training. From 2012-2015, he established and convened Groote Schuur Hospital’s FCA part 1 teaching program, and is an examiner for the College of Medicine’s FCA part 1 examination. Nick was voted Consultant of the Year by the 2014 Anaesthetic registrar body. He also served the Chairman of the Western Cape Branch of the South African Society of Anaesthesiologists (SASA) in 2015 and 2018.
- HPCSA Health Professional Council of South Africa
- SASA South African Society of Anaesthetists
- CMSA College of Medicine of South Africa
- PCNS The Practice Code Numbering System
- SASA Cape Western Branch Chair 2015/2018
- Southern Anaesthetics Associates Member since 2015
Current CPD Activities
- HPCSA Compliant with Continuing Professional Development
- BLS & ACLS January/February 2020
- Ethics Points target exceeded
- Southern Anaesthetics Assoc Journal Club Meetings
- Southern Anaesthetics Assoc Annual CME Meetgins
- SASA Cape Western Branch Update Meeting (6 monthly)
- SASA CWB Chair in 2015 and 2018, Presenter in 2019
- Ongoing Lecturer & Training at Groote Schuur Dept. of Anaesthesia
Publications, Presentations, Academic Activities
- South African Journal of Anaesthesia and Analgesia 2014 Vol 20 No 5 p4-6 Meyersfeld N, Ngan Kee WD, Segal S, Dyer RA. Oxygen at Caesarean; too much of a good thing. (Peer Reviewed)
- South African Journal of Anaesthesia and Analgesia 2016 Vol 22 No 2 p52-56 Choonoo J, Hofmeyer R, Evans N, James MF, Meyersfeld N. A new option in airway management: An evaluation of the Totaltrack Video Laryngeal Mask. (Peer Reviewed)
- British Journal of Anaesthesia, 117 (S1): i104–i120 (2016) Choonoo J, Hofmeyer R, Evans N, James MF, Meyersfeld N. A new option in airway management: An evaluation of the Totaltrack Video Laryngeal Mask. (Abstract). (Peer Reviewed)
- SAMJ Vol 108 No 5 (2018) Coetzee E , Chishala C, Mayosi B, Swanevelder J, Dyer RA , Motasim B, Biccard B, Meyersfeld N. Myocardial Injury after Non-cardiac Surgery: A Prevalence Study (Peer Reviewed)
- 2013 National Part 1 Refresher Course Handbook Diuretics; a not-so-brief summary
- 2013 National Part 1 Refresher Course Handbook Physiology of Acute Pain
- 2014 National Part 1 Refresher Course Handbook Pulmonary Function Testing
- 2015 National Part 1 Refresher Course Handbook Awake Craniotomy
- Presentation at Association of Surgeons of SA Congress (East London 2013) Epidurals; friend or foe?
- Presentation at SASA Congress (Jhb 2014) Fetal distress & intra-uterine fetal resuscitation
- Presentation at SASA WCB (Oct 2016) Hypotensive Anaesthesia; how low can you go?
- Presentation SASA WCB Update Meeting (May 2019) Awake Craniotomy
Life Outside of Work
- Nick is married to Daniella, has two sons and a daughter, two ridiculously energetic beagles. He enjoys reading, running and cycling, but mostly just enjoys spending time with his family.