- MBChB University of Stellenbosch
- DA(SA) South African Colleges of Medicine
- MMed (Anaes & Crit Care Med) Stellenbosch
- FCA(SA) South African Colleges of Medicine
- Neuro and Spinal Surgery
- General and Abdominal Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery
- Anaesthesia for Elderlyl Patients
- Urology and Robotic Surgery
- Ophthalmic Surgery
Dr. Peter Marwick
MBChB(Stell) DA(SA) FCA(SA) MMed
2 Sea View Road, Wynberg, 7800, Cape Town, South Africa
After matriculating with distinction and full academic colours at Grey College in Bloemfontein, Peter completed his medical degree at Stellenbosch University in 2000. Once completing internship and community service he spent a couple of years working in England and Scotland before returning to follow a career in Anaesthesiology. He specialised at Stellenbosch University completing his Master’s degree and Anaesthesiology College Fellowship in 2010, following this up with a five year Consultant post at Tygerberg Hospital and the University of Stellenbosch Anaesthesiology and Critical Care faculty. In 2016 he moved to full time private practice, joining Southern Anaesthetics Associates.
- HPCSA Health Professions Council of South Africa
- SASA South African Society of Anaesthesiologists. SASA National Council Member 2012-2016
- SASA Cape Western Branch Chairman SASA CWB 2017
- GMC General Medical Council, United Kingdom
- SA Colleges of Medicine Fellow
Current CPD Activities
- 2020 BLS and ACLS Accreditation Course
- 2019 & 2018 Southern Anaesthetics Journal Club
- 2019 & 2018 SASA CWB Update Meetings x 3
- 2019 & 2018 Southern Anaesthetics CME Meeting
- 2019 MSD Deep Neuromuscular Blockade Study
- 2018 SAJAA Reviewer for Journal Submission
- 2018 SASA Ethics Meeting
- 2018 SASA National Congress and Refresher Course
Publications, Presentations, Academic Activities
- 2009: Recurrence of Cardiotoxicity After Lipid Rescue from Bupivacaine-Induced Cardiac Arrest. Anesth Analg 2009;108:1344 –6
- 2009: Lipid rescue: the use of lipid emulsions to treat local anaesthetic toxicity SAJAA 2009; 15(5): 20-28
- 2015: The South African Surgical Outcomes Study: a seven-day prospective observational cohort study: preliminary results. SAJAA 2015:21(1) 72-4 (as SASOS investigator)
- 2015: The South African Surgical Outcomes Study: A 7-day prospective observational cohort study. SAMJ 2015:105(6) 465-75 (as SASOS investigator)
- 2016: Hemocue® Haemoglobin Concentration Measurements are More Accurate Than Those of Blood Gas Analysers and Assist in Avoiding Incorrect Transfusion Decisions Anesth Analg 2016;123:Nr3 Suppl, PR612. World Congress Abstract.
- 2020: Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty Using a Non-Occlusive Balloon Catheter: First Animal Experience. Cardiovasc Eng Tech 11, 59–66 (2020)
- 2019: Comparison of Hemoglobin Measurements by 3 Point-of-Care Devices With Standard Laboratory Values and Reliability Regarding Decisions for Blood Transfusion. Anesthesia & Analgesia: November 18, 2019 - Volume Publish Ahead of Print.
- Presenter at SASA Cape Western Branch, SASA National Congress, WCA World Congress of Anesthesiology
- Examiner at Colleges of Medicine FCA (Fellowship of Anaesthesiology final exams), University of Stellenbosch (Undergraduate Medical Exams), FCA Part 2 Refresher Course, MMed(Anaethesiology) Thesis Promotor and Reviewer.
- Journal Reviews SAJAA Southern African Journal of Anaesthesia and Analgesia
Life Outside of Work
- Wife Debbie is an Ophthalmologist, two young daughters Rachael and Amélie. Born and bred Freestater, and long-suffering Cheetahs supporter. I am partial to a good wine should the opportunity present itself, otherwise attempts at woodwork, DIY and nerdy pursuits like computers and academics take up the time I can salvage from work and family.